Sunday, August 10, 2008

2008 Olympics aka The Michael Phelps show

Is it just me or have you too been glued to the tele since Friday night's truly amazing opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing? The Chinese threw down the gauntlet and said "Top this bitches!" 

I mean seriously, it was breathtaking, the 2008 drummers with the cool strobe effects, the perfect circle, the printing blocks with the people in them, the world's largest led screen (truly the world's largest, not some made-up marketing handle...you know what I'm talking about), and the giant paper lantern. Not to mention the true wows from the fireworks display. The Chinese know how to put on a show. I can't wait for the closing ceremony.

But of course to me the real star of the Olympics is the one and only Michael Phelps. He is going for a record eight gold medals to go along with the six he already has and the 2 other medals he won in Athens. Even NBC knows who is going to butter their bread. They really like to mention him randomly during broadcasts of other sports. I was half watching cycling early this morning as I lay on the couch waiting for him to grace my screen when I heard his name and jumped up ready to see him go for gold.  Sadly they just wanted to let us know he would be coming up later in the day... and by later they mean in 5 hours or so.  Those willy NBC cats, they dangle the treat and then tell you its on later, but never manage give you an exact time. Its like they know that I will be sitting through hours of coverage just to get a glimpse of him in his speedo...ummm I mean to see him win those medals, yeah...the medals that's right.

As I wait for Michael to go for his 2nd gold medal tonight, I can't help but wonder what will happen to the little chinese girls/boys who fall on their asses, fail to reach the finals or worse yet, win the silver in front of the home crowd. As I ponder their fate, I think I'm going to order chinese food, sit back and watch it all unfold. 

No comments: